Ash Tree Farm
The people in the picture are ( l-r) Alfred Pudsey, Martha Midgely, Jack Midgely, Annie Boyes, Kate Boyes (?), Katie Pudsey. The Midgely family lived in the back and the Boyes family in the front. The small single-story building is the old schoolroom and beyond that is Cottage Farm.
By 1925, Ash Tree Farm had become the Post Office, and was run by Jimmy Boyes.
Beamer View Cottages
Before Beamer View was built, the land was part of Marshall’s Garth.
Little Garth (left hand) was struck by lightning and caught fire in May 1999. Neighbour Michael Holmes climbed on to the roof and used a hosepipe to keep the flames down for 25 minutes until the fire engines arrived from Malton.
Previously ‘Court Garth’ and then Beamer Hill Dairy.
There are two pairs of cottages named ‘Diamond Cottages’. They were built by the Sledmere Estate to house workers. The name derives from Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
John Jewison of Raisthorpe built a terrace of 8 brick cottages in 1837 between the Cross Keys and what is now the cricket pitch. These became known as Jewison’s row. They were built to house farm labourers.
Round The Bend
The small building between the pub and Round-the-Bend was a washhouse.
The small chalk cottage on the corner of the junction to Martinholme (opposite the old post office), was one of the oldest buildings in the village until demolished in 2003. It was once the home of Smith Palfreyman who worked at Raisthorpe as labourer and rabbit catcher. It can be seen in background of this photo from the 1920s.
When Sledmere put the village up for sale in 1919, Smith Palfreyman was the tenant. Details of the smallholding can be seen by clicking here.
Joshua Boyes to 1898.
John Youngson post 1898.
George Benjamin Youngson 1910s: