Ash Tree Farm
This was a small farmhouse before the enclosure, but by the time of this photo (circa 1900) it was split into two cottages.
The people in the picture are ( l-r) Alfred Pudsey, Martha Midgely, Jack Midgely, Annie Boyes, Kate Boyes (?), Katie Pudsey. The Midgely family lived in the back and the Boyes family in the front. The small single-story building is the old schoolroom and beyond that is Cottage Farm.
By 1925, Ash Tree Farm had become the Post Office, and was run by Jimmy Boyes.
Beamer View Cottages
Before Beamer View was built, the land was part of Marshall’s Garth.
Little Garth (left hand) was struck by lightning and caught fire in May 1999. Neighbour Michael Holmes climbed on to the roof and used a hosepipe to keep the flames down for 25 minutes until the fire engines arrived from Malton.
Previously ‘Court Garth’ and then Beamer Hill Dairy.
Cottage Farm can be seen in the 1900 photo of Ash Tree Farm
There are two pairs of cottages named ‘Diamond Cottages’. They were built by the Sledmere Estate to house workers. The name derives from Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
Work commenced on the cottages on 10th August 1897. The construction can be seen in these photos
This photo shows the blacksmith’s shop and Diamond Cottages in 1906.
John Jewison of Raisthorpe built a terrace of 8 brick cottages in 1837 between the Cross Keys and what is now the cricket pitch. These became known as Jewison’s row. They were built to house farm labourers.
Photo from 1907. The Cross Keys and Jewison’s Row:
Photo from 1920s. The Cross Keys and Jewison’s Row:
Round The Bend
This photo from the 1890s has Round-The-Bend and the Cross Keys in the background.
This photo is from 1907 and shows Round-The-Bend, the Cross Keys and Jewison’s Row.
The small building between the pub and Round-the-Bend was a washhouse.
This photo is taken from the same place, but is from the 1920s.
The small chalk cottage on the corner of the junction to Martinholme (opposite the old post office), was one of the oldest buildings in the village until demolished in 2003. It was once the home of Smith Palfreyman who worked at Raisthorpe as labourer and rabbit catcher. It can be seen in background of this photo from the 1920s.
This drawing dated July 18, 1810 would appear to depict the same cottage.
When Sledmere put the village up for sale in 1919, Smith Palfreyman was the tenant. Details of the smallholding can be seen by clicking here.
The village pump was erected in January 1834. It was bought from York for £4-11s-0d. Before the pump, there was a well in this position, and a spring further down. This photo dates from the 1880s.
Joshua Boyes to 1898.
John Youngson post 1898.
George Benjamin Youngson 1910s: