The Village of Thixendale

Martinholme


Martinholme Farm lies a little to the west of the village.

William Hazlewood Sedman farmed at Martinholme in 1892, and in 1919 the tenancy was assigned to W. H. Sedman & Sons.

Also known as ‘The New Farm’ in 1919.

When put up for sale by the Sledmere Estate in 1919, the details were as follows:

Farm House: Entrance, Two Sitting Rooms, Breakfast Room, Kitchen, Eight Bedrooms, Dairy and Offices.
Barn, Stable for 11 horses, Granary, Cowhouses, Smithy, Boxes, Sheds and other buildings, and the following closes of Grass and Arable Land.

Tenants – Messrs. W. H. Sedman & Sons.

No. on Plan. DESCRIPTION OR CULTIVATION. Area (acres)
133 House and Homestead 2.052
127A Garden .544
127 Paddock Grass 2.421
126 do. do. 6.073
125 Dale do. 11.147
166 Thixendale do. 39.533
228 Uncleby Stoop do. 30.871
92.641
135 Arable 27.938
165 Martinholm do. 26.288
131 do. do. 25.438
223 do. 28.949
227 Uncleby Stoop do. 38.372
230A do. 2.085
230 do. 23.067
229 Road .557
231 do. .445
134 Shelter Plantation .672
132 do. 2.277
129 do. 1.457
128 do. .527
130 do. .227
A 270.940