The Village of Thixendale

Gritts Farm

The name ‘Gritts’ comes from the word ‘Greets’, which was the local name for waste land.

Gritts Farm was created by Sir Christopher Sykes in 1795.

When put up for sale by the Sledmere Estate in 1919, the details were as follows:

Farm House: Entrance, Three Sitting Rooms, Kitchen, Scullery, Front and Back Stairs and Eight Bedrooms. Barn, Stable for 12 Horses, Granary, Cowhouses, Smithy, Three Covered Fold Yards, Boxes, Sheds and other Buildings. A pair of Cottages. known as “Paradise Cottages.” and the following Closes of Grass and Arable Land.

Tenant – Mr. Thomas Mudd.

No. on Plan. DESCRIPTION OR CULTIVATION. Area (acres)
17 House and Homestead 3.310
17A Garden .415
16 Paddock Grass 2.249
22 do. do. 2.610
21 do. do. 5.330
24 Cowdale do. 41.140
5 Brubber Dale do. 72.917
153 Huggate Hill do. 42.122
170.093
20 Arable 48.467
4 Hill Side 3.599
1 Arable 48.549
3 do. 23.372
2 do. 45.009
6 do. 51.867
7 do. 42.932
10 do. 38.587
11 do. 30.656
12 do. 35.575
14 do. 35.431
23 do. 29.604
13 Waterdale Road .218
154 Road .320
150 Huggate Hill do. 2.170
9 Paradise Cottages and Gardens (a pair) .631
15 Shelter Plantation 9.082
18 do. do. 1.219
20A Hill End do. 3.326
A 620.707