The Village of Thixendale

Gills Farm

Gills Farm was created by Sir Christopher Sykes in 1795.

When put up for sale by the Sledmere Estate in 1919, the details were as follows:

Farm House: Entrance, Three Sitting Rooms, Kitchen, Scullery, Five Bedrooms, Front and Back Stairs, and a Foreman’s House. Barn, Stable for 18 Horses, Granary, Cowhouses, Tractor and Motor House, Covered Fold Yards, Boxes, Sheds and other Buildings, and the following Closes of Grass and Arable Land.

Tenant – Mr. H.G.Wood.

No. on Plan. DESCRIPTION OR CULTIVATION. Area (acres)
32 House and Homestead 3.135
104 Worm Dale Barn and Yards .260
33 Paddock Grass 1.455
34 do. 2.940
25 do. 50.996
106 Worm Dale do. 90.147
38 Paddock do. 3.529
39 do. do. 14.347
378ÔÇöBishop Wilton do. 17.595
186.779
40 Arable 37.020
41 do. 28.113
42 do. 23.350
103 Worm Dale Close do. 23.541
105 do. do. 18.661
107 do. 21.284
28 Cow Dale Leys do. 43.377
27 do. 35.629
26 do. 43.675
29 Cow Dale Leys do. 27.048
30 do. 22.252
110 do. 25.760
111 Foreman’s House and Garden do. 31.381
151 do. 38.337
152 do. 36.229
31 Shelter Plantation 3.574
36 Road .456
108 do. .305
A 647.311